Obesity and lifestyle disorders are on the rise. But there’s no need to panic! It’s not only the Zumba instructor or Yoga teacher who can look fit and healthy on the job. With a little patience and perseverance, you can too!
Here are some simple tips which give you ways to stay fit even at a desk job where you are slogging it out the whole day without any exercise. Follow them diligently and notice the difference.
Ways to stay fit at a desk job
1) Increase activity levels
Take a walk around your desk.
Got so lost in those lines of code that you feel like Einstein? Well, its important that you get a break and manage to sneak in some exercise. If you are sitting continuously for 30 minutes, just get up, and walk around your place. You can take regular exercise breaks along with a colleague and motivate each other.
- You get motivation to do it.
- Time for some office gossip as you walk along.
Got to convey something to your colleague? Instead of chat or emails, go over to his/her desk and speak.
- Better interpersonal relationships
- You can chit-chat at such small breaks. Fun, right?
Use facilities at your office.
Are you one of those lucky ones whose office is equipped with gyms, swimming pools etc? Well, they are not just meant to be stared at, you can actualy join them and benefit. Nothing like a fun workout at office which offers you a break. Simple, see?
2) Watch what you eat and drink
Just because its office, doesn’t mean that you have an excuse to gorge on junk food. Is your idea of a snack, a pack of Kurkure at your desk? Or are you workaholic enough to skip your meals?
Either ways you will end up looking like Obelix of the Asterix Series fame. How to combat small cravings at intervals?
- Carry nuts/corn or fat-free yogurt.
- Always have a fruit at hand.
- Granola bars are great energy boosters alongside being tasty.
- Occasionally, everyone deserves a treat. You can carry small packs of Choco-chip cookies/potato wafers to perk up moody days.
(Don’t forget to carry an extra pack or hide it from your colleagues else you will get none.)
Drink plenty of water.
Drink plenty of water to keep yourself hydrated. Walk to the water refill area for filling up your bottle.
3) Simple exercises
Here are some simple exercises you can follow right at your seat in your pursuit of ways to stay fit.
1)What’s it about: Shoulder Stretching
How to do it:
- Raise your shoulders upwards like shrugging and hold them for a few seconds.
- Release and repeat again. Do it for at least 15 times every couple of hours.
Benefits: Hugely benefits your shoulder muscles
2)What’s it about: Leg straightening
How to do it:
- While sitting, sit slightly forward away from the backrest. Lift a leg three inches off the ground.
- Tighten the leg muscle and hold for 10 seconds.
- Relax and repeat with other leg and repeat again. Repeat at least twice a day.
Benefits: This helps in knee and hip stability and your knees. Since it exercise thighs, it also improves circulation.
What’s it about: Eye rolling
How to do it:
This is for the computer buffs.
- Just take a minute to do this. Simply close your eyes and roll it around in circular motions.
- It feels like a massage for eyes, so enjoy it to the max!
Benefits: Lubricates your eyes and eases the strain on eye muscles.
That’s it, folks. We’ve given you some simple but smart tips and easy-to-follow exercise. Consult a doctor before embarking on serious exercises if you have any ailment. Follow these to a T and you will surely thank us for these small but life-changing ways to stay fit.
For more on fitness equipments and clothes, check out sites like Flipkart which are increasingly promoting a healthy life with good deals on all fitness essentials.